A Favorite Painting of Mine to Celebrate 2023

 © SSD

This is one of my favorite paintings of 2023 (soon to be published in Alaska’s Fishermen’s Almanac). I painted it when I first moved from Nome to Fairbanks. Its title is “River of Blues.”  It is another painting in my series, “The Ocean is Our Garden.” Here herring and blueberries share the same plane. It took hours to draw all of the blueberries by hand and then paint them. The fish each have a unique character. Look at their individual faces.

Then, after it had dried, I watched shadows like waves ripple across it. The source was the midday July sunshine weaving through my window blinds. Spontaneously, the herring appeared to be swimming the tide shadow waves. It was so beautiful that I had to snap a photo or two. 


© SSD

I am curving my mind around what to paint next. We will all know after the New Year when I post that answer here.

Happy Holidays to All ~ Susan 

Comments

Popular Posts