Taking Creative Leaps: I Am At My Bravest When I Am Painting.




Art, for me, includes risks. I told a friend I am at my bravest when I am painting. I will look at an almost completed painting, pick up a pencil and draw a new element risking the whole work. Yet, that makes art alive for me; a vivid, demanding, engaging, surprising and rewarding conversation.
 

I came home from work last week utterly exhausted and fell into a deep sleep. I dreamed of a painting very much like my other works, but this one was called Puzzle. The painting was a grid of squares.

When I woke up an hour or so later, I sketched out the whole scene on a small piece of watercolor paper.  Yesterday, I measured and placed down painter’s tape across a piece of 16x20 watercolor paper and into a grid; something I have never done before.

 

 Then I sketched the picture.


Today, I started painting it.

Are the lines between the squares of the grid too wide? Are the individual squares too small? I don’t know. I just have to paint it and see. Yet, I will learn from this the steps to make another similar painting. My art work is evolving, Who knows, maybe one day I won’t paint fish anymore. Hmm … ©


Comments

Popular Posts